CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS
Milton Society of Georgia
(Adopted November 9, 2020)
I. NAME. The name of the society is Milton Society of Georgia (MSG).
II. AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
1. To bring together a community of scholars interested in the life and works of John Milton.
2. To encourage production of literary works associated with John Milton.
3. To issue publications about John Milton.
4. To hold meetings at which Milton’s works will be studied and discussed.
1. The funds of MSG will be applied solely to the aims and objectives as shown above, after allowing for reasonable management expenses.
2. Should MSG cease to exist, any funds or assets remaining will be applied to such objectives as shown above.
1. MSG is open to anyone, regardless of race, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation.
2. The annual subscription fee will be decided at the Annual General Meeting (AGM).
3. The annual subscription fee will be due at the first meeting of the year.
4. Every member shall have one vote at the AGM.
5. Honorary Life Members may be appointed by the AGM.
1. Regular meetings of MSG will take place once a month from September to June.
2. Meeting dates, times, locations and activities to be decided by the Executive Committee.
3. Additional meetings may be held at the discretion of the Executive Committee.
4. Committee meetings will be called at the discretion of the chair or at the request of any member of the committee. Three members of the committee will make a quorum. The committee may appoint sub-committees from its members, accountable to the full committee, to discuss specific issues and make recommendations.
5. The Annual General Meeting of MSG will be held in May. Reports and audited accounts will be submitted and all officers and committee members will be elected or re-elected for the next year. All members of MSG will be entitled to vote at the AGM. At least 14 days’ notice will be given to members. One-third of the membership will make a quorum.
6. An Extraordinary General Meeting may be called at the request of the chair of the Executive Committee or of five other members. At least 14 days’ notice will be given to members. One-third of the membership will make a quorum.
7. Meetings will be conducted using Robert’s Rules of Order.
VI. OFFICERS AND EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
1. At the AGM, MSG members will elect a President, two Vice Presidents, Secretary, and Treasurer, who will hold their posts for three years and be eligible for re-election.
2. The Executive Committee will consist of those officers elected in 1, above.
3. An auditor or independent examiner will be proposed by the Executive Committee and approved by the AGM.
1. All paid-up members will be entitled to nominate, second, or vote for officers and Executive Committee at the AGM.
2. All paid-up members may vote on any resolutions proposed at the AGM.
3. Resolutions will be put to the AGM by members of the Executive Committee.
4. Proposed resolutions are to be received by the Secretary in writing at least seven days before the AGM.
1. Bylaws will be enacted, as needed, by majority vote of the members of the Executive Committee.
IX. ALTERATIONS TO THE CONSTITUTION
1. The Constitution will be reviewed ten days after adoption and every three years thereafter.
2. Any alterations to the Constitution must be approved by the membership at the AGM.
3. Proposals for changes to the Constitution must be received by the Secretary in writing at least seven days before the meeting.
X. ADOPTION OF THIS CONSTITUTION
1. Adoption of this Constitution is effective at 12:00 pm Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) on Monday, November 9, 2020, in Gori, Georgia.
Edward R. Raupp, Ph.D.